SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rothane_gw

Suffering inkberry, question about Blue holly varieties

rothane
15 years ago

I have a new construction home and am putting in landscaping fresh. The challenge is that they left us no topsoil and the soil is mostly clay. I've worked hard to build up the front beds up with peat and compost. The pH is 6.25 and it's a northern exposure. The outer edge of it is on the east side of the house, where it gets quite a lot of sun. The plants are all well mulched and they've been getting a good amount of water; it's rained nearly every other day for the past two weeks so I haven't had to do very much extra watering at all.

Almost all of the plants I've put in are all doing extremely well. There is only one exception to this. I planted a compact inkberry (Ilex glabra) on the northeast corner where it will get more sun. It seemed to do all right for about a week, but now it's sort of dying from the inside out. The branches die, the leaves turn brown-black. I've been pruning out the dead branches but the poor shrub now looks like a donut from the top and it's still dropping leaves. If it continues at its current rate, I may have to replace it, unless someone has any idea what I can do to save it.

If I do have to replace it, I may put in a holly instead. I have a Blue Boy and Blue Girl in a bed near the front porch and both are growing like crazy (we don't have a deer problem fortunately). If the inkberry dies I may replace it with another Blue Girl, but I've also been looking at the Blue Princess. The area would be fine for a rather large, tall holly, but I can't find any information about whether a Blue Boy will work for a Blue Princess. They'd only be about 20' apart, so well within range for normal propogation for hollies.

So first, any advice on salvaging the inkberry, or failing that, does anyone know if the Blue Boy will work for a Blue Princess?

Comments (2)