SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ego45

Drough tolerant shrubs for z6b/7

ego45
17 years ago

My friend just moved from one (very shady, 2.8 acres) to another (very sunny, 0.25 acres) place on Long Island, NY.

Quite a transition!

Anyway, most of his currrent backyard consist out of a 45 degree or even steeper slop that is in full sun from early morning to sunset. Truly unobstructed sun the whole day.

There are few conifers and one young oak there (I have no clue how the previous owners managed to get them established), but they are not providing anything yet in terms of visual impact. As you can see grass is completely dead and no irrigation system will be installed.

{{gwi:272939}}
{{gwi:272940}}

My friend is not a gardener and don't want to be one. Also, he is looking at this home as a transitional one for the next 3 to 5 years and don't want to invest in a long-term serious landscaping.

Basicly he's looking for the grough tolerant, medium to large, easily obtainable and fast growing deciduous shrubs that would require low or no maintanance. Once established they'll be left to their own chores and could grow to any size or shape they'll chose.

The most he is willing to do is to water them now and the whole next summer to let them get going.

I'm composing the list of such shrubs and asking you to add or cross anything you deem appropriate.

-Cottinus corrygria,

-Physocarpus,

-Berberis,

-Buddleia,

-Spirea japonica,

-Euonymus alatus,

-Forsythia intermedia,

-Weigela florida,

-Sorbaria sorbifolia,

-Prunus cistena or cerasifera,

-Syringa vulgaris.

Some groundcovers?