SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mk87_gw

River Birch Confusion

mk87
16 years ago

I am confused by the "drought tolerant" status of some trees/shrubs, noted as good choices for GA. Specifically...River Birch. I love the tree and would love to plant some of them on my property. If you look up "drought tolerant" trees, you certainly see River Birch listed. They are also increasingly being planted at retail outlets in those little concrete-surrounded islands in parking lots (so are maples, which also surprises me, but I digress). But, a River Birch, by nature...often grows by the water. That's where you see them growing naturally. And, I have had two or three landscapers tell me that they need lots of water. Well, any new tree needs regular water while it gets established. Anyway, I'm confused. I have three great spots that could use a nice breezy shade canopy and River Birch is one I would like (also one that is quite readily available in my area...I originally wanted Chinese Pistache, but you simply can't buy them here anywhere). Can someone make this clear for me? Is River Birch drought tolerant or not?

Comments (10)

Sponsored