SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

I'm not weeding (much) this year

melissa_thefarm
13 years ago

Well, we all know about weeds. I've spent many hours pulling them out of my beds and cursing the abundance of grass seed in the hay I use as mulch, and piling that same hay on thickly because it does discourage other weeds. Over time I began to wonder about a couple of things. First, there are a lot of small spring native annuals ("weeds") that are very pretty. Purple dead nettle, annual euphorbia, a wild geranium that's common here, blue-eyed veronica are all fresh, delicate, charming plants. Then, concerning grass, I began to wonder why I was pulling up annual grass. After all, I was putting down hay by the ton; and instead, here is nature growing my mulch for me, and getting it down in the soil by way of roots, and all for free. So I began to pull it, or cut it, only right around the bases of the roses. This year my roses are leafing out in the middle of a lush green meadow starred with flowers, and it looks great. The roses look happy; the aromatic sub-shrubs, lavender and rosemary and phlomis, don't mind the current arrangement.

Now, all this happiness isn't going to last forever. When my annuals begin to go to seed they'll get mildewed and ratty and I'll have to pull them or cut them down. But it'll be easier then, as they plant won't have such a hold on life, and they won't be immediately replaced by more of the same. And I won't hate to pull them. Then comes summer,a penitential period in the garden. This is when the pretty spring annuals have done for the year and when the ugly perennial weeds take over, and I spend my days pulling Bermuda grass and bindweed. Eliminating these is a long-range project, which basically consists in shading them out with shrubs and trees, and providing conditions that allow other plants to out-compete them. The shrubs and trees are planted and growing.

Let me hear your comments.

This is such a beautiful time of year!

Melissa

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery