SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Veronica weed in my perennial bed

thisismelissa
14 years ago

HELP!!!

Ok, lately the daytime temps have been in the 50's and night temps in the 30's. The sun has been bright, but as of yet, the trees are still just skeletons (no leaves).

I have a hateful weed.... identified by a garden center as Veronica. She is NOT nice! My rear neighbors have several untended beds that she grows rampant in. And she shows up in my perennial beds, despite 2-3" of cypress mulch. She can be killed with several shots of RoundUp, but right now, it's too cold for RoundUp to work, but not too cold for her to pop up in various locations around my perennial bed. She does pull up well, but leaving any root behind means she'll be back. I know she lives smack in the middle of one of my Tiarella's.

Is there anything I can do to keep her at bay? A pre-emergent, perhaps? Of course, I don't want anything to harm my perennials, but this weed is seriously the thorn in my side!

Will taking a scuffle hoe to my neighbors infested beds do anything?

I hate to wait till it gets warm enough for RoundUp to work as by then, the hostas and other perennials will be up.

HELP!

Comments (9)