SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joemess_gw

Introduction and Brief question

joemess
16 years ago

Hello All,

I am new here and would just like to take a moment to say hello and introduce myself. I am a graduate student at Winthrop University here in sunny South Carolina. While my degree says biologist, my thesis is based in botany / conservation ecology. I also have to admit from an early age I just got a kick out of watching my father and grandfathers garden. I also am the proud owner of a new 20'X14' Gothic Style greenhouse bought through Farmtek.

While the main thrust of my studies have me roaming the outdoors finding, identifying and cataloguing native plants in varied habitats, I absolutely love Orchids...which leads to my question.

My graduate professor and I inherited about 400 orchids after a wonderful lover of orchids passed away this year. Luckily, we have adequate heated greenhouse space at our facilities to handle the plants. However we are now beginning the process of re-potting them and will have MANY divisions that will end up in my personal collection in my greenhouse mentioned above.

My question is about heating it. (and I did do a search and it was not fruitful, too many results)

Thus far I have been using a kerosene heater because I have not hooked the "Blue Flame" propane heater up.

Does anyone else use this heater as a method of heat? How is your efficiency? My target is to not let the temp drop below 50 at a minimum...

The Greenhouse has an inflation kit that created a bubble above with polycarb end walls which should up the R-value some. In addition I have been any crack and gaps I find to stop air loss.

Anyway, again its nice t meet you all and I look forward to being part of this community.

Andrew

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths