SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladon_gw

Hot pile has now gone cold...What happened?

ladon
13 years ago

This is my first year composting and I was thrilled that I had some great success out the gate. I started my first pile with a roughly 3x3x3 pile, layered lasagna-style with dry leaves, grass clippings, and some kitchen scraps. The first month was great. I measured temps around 160, and with each turning I was greeted by a big burst of steam when I opened up the pile. I turned the pile every couple of weeks and with each turning I added some more leaves, scraps and clippings. Then the weather got cold, at least by SoCal standards, with nights dropping into the high 30's to low 40's. We also got a massive amount of rain for the couple of weeks leading up to Christmas. I turned the pile this past weekend, and was disappointed to find that there was no steam, and in fact the pile, even in the center was cold. What happened? Was it the rain? The cold temps? Not enough browns? Not enough greens? I did notice that the pile was pretty damp, although not sludgy. It had also compacted quite a bit. I was watching John Hughe's videos the other day with great envy, turning his massive piles with the backhoe and watching all the steam come up. I want my heat back. What can I do?

Comments (8)