SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaylah_gw

Our own little 9-11

kaylah
15 years ago

About 8:15 this morning, my husband was at the shop making coffee. Suddenly there was a giant explosion. Stuff fell off the shelves everywhere and he ran outside along with everyone else. A large chunk of a city block of Main Street blew up from a gas explosion. The Rocking R bar burned along with several other places. Windows blew out everywhere, but luckily not ours. Debris rained down and there were reports of bricks falling down from the skies hours later.

The fires burned all day and everyone was ordered out. The odd coincidences between 9-11 and our event kept bothering me. We had a big snowstorm today, and the air was still, like 9-11. So lucky that was, snow dumping on that fire. There is only one person unaccounted for who was employed in those buildings, probably the luckless person who came to work first, and turned on a light switch, which ignited the gas.

All of these buildings dated back to 1900, and the gas lines were laid in the 30's.

They just spent a huge sum fixing up Main Street, and we're getting a highly unnecessary parking garage, but nobody thought of the gas lines.

The old man told me that was the most terrifying thing that had ever happened to him. My son who lives clear across town, thought it was an earthquake.

There was supposed to be a street concert tonight right out in front of those buildings.

Like 9-11, it's going to take some time getting over this.

Comments (9)