SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzymoto

Lean-To / Home Attached GH w/Solar Cover?

fuzzymoto
15 years ago

We've been batting this around in another thread so I thought I'd post a new topic just for this.

I have a 16x10 straight-eaved, home-attached / lean-to aluminum all-glass greenhouse. Given our Zone 4-5 (and my propane bill so far this year), I was considering wrapping the whole GH in a solar pool cover. We just hit -18F last weekend so it's been brutaly cold.

Given the odd shape of the lean-to GH, wrapping such a shape with a square solar pool cover will be like wrapping an odd-shaped xmas present.

Is anyone else with a lean-to style GH wrapping it with a solar pool cover? If so how, or do you have photos?

Seems like I can wrap it or try to cut 3 pieces. Cutting 3 pieces may be tricky to cut and tricky to join together, but cleaner, lighter and less slack to catch wind. Seems like wrapping it will provide better insulation, but be trickier to deal with the slack and much heavier.

Also given the size of my GH I'd need a fairly large solar pool cover (in the 40' x 20' neighborhood.) Does anyone have any idea exactly how heavy this sort of cover in 14mm or 16m may actually be? I'm trying to picture the wife and I wrestling this beast up onto the roof of the GH.

Any thoughts on weight or how to wrap an irregular GH in a rectangular cover?

PS We've ruled out the hassles of bubblewrap so please don't suggest it.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES