SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael357

% Ca carbonate and lowering pH

Michael
12 years ago

Greetings to all you soil scientists, I have an exercise for you to ponder.

I sampled the soil in the orchard from 0-12" depth and came up with the following results:

%CaCO3 = 2.8%

pH=7.4

Micros. in PPM

Mn= 9.5

Cu= 3.0

Zn= 10.7

Fe= 12.9

B = 0.09

Macros. in PPM

NO3= 4.2

P= 13.4

K= 720

% O.M. = 1.4

This is a sandy clay loam

It appears to me that the micro. levels are fine and that I'll be fertilizing with P and N, no problem there. However, that lime, looking at the leaves looks to be binding up the Fe and possibly Zn. If the trees were older and larger I'd have already done a leaf tissue sample to confirm which is the problem or both.

for now it makes sense to get the pH down to about 6.5 in the top foot of soil (or more) where most of the roots are so the micros. can be used by the trees. Increasing the OM is a good idea too, started doing that 3 years ago and will continue.

Now for the question, knowing the actual % lime level, the desired soil depth and the new target pH of 6.5, how does one calculate how much material to use?

BTW, I'll be adding about 1 lb P2O5/1000 sq. ft. + 0.3 lb N/100 sq. ft. to get those up where they need to be using one or more of the following - 10-34-0 liquid, 28-0-0 UAN, Urea. The purpose of those particular fertilizers is 3-fold, I have access to them all, they can be fertigated in and the urea in particular can be particularly useful to lower the soil pH. In addition, by fertigating in the pH dropping ferts. they can be carried into the root zone and begin acting much quicker than using S. The other drawback of S is that it has to be incorporated, to do so would chew up the root systems.

Methinks I'll be best using the 10-34-0 + urea as it will give me the N and P I need but I have no idea how to calculate a theoretical pH drop in all that darned lime which must be neutralized first before the pH is going anywhere. Perhaps some surface applied Ag. S would help over time with overhead water from the sky or hose, beats me.

What sayith thou?

Comments (33)