SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Nixon Library's Madame Alfred C.s

kittymoonbeam
11 years ago

I was passing the Nixon Library/ Birthplace in Yorba Linda and noticed how busy it was. The parking area and surrounding streets were full of cars. I heard music and had to investigate. They were having an open house in honor of First Lady Mrs. Nixon's birthday and I had never been there at pruning time so I went in to see the rose garden and revisit the re creation of the East Room in the White House which is so very elegant and peaceful.

First of all, there was a DJ playing dance music on the lawn for what seemed like a huge swarm of Girl Scouts of all ages. They were having a celebration there. I never saw such merriment. Green lawns surrounded by beautiful shrubs filled with laughing, dancing, singing jumping cartwheeling girls. I never saw so much exuberant human joy going on at one time.

Overlooking this giant birthday party were two giant Madame Alfred Carrieres that bookended a huge semicircular planting of Peace roses. The trunks ( old canes ) were thick and woody holding up a dense framework of branches which were flowering even though most of the leaves and newer growth had been trimmed away. I thought this rose was a climber only and a tall one at that. Can you train any of the old fast growing climbers like that? There was no structure under it, just the woody canes zigzaging around at the base. I probably saw these years ago when I didn't know anything about this rose and thought it was just a large old bush. But it can't be that old because the library gardens are fairly recent. Anyway, it gave me hope that I might grow one of the old climbers without actually having it climb anything.

Two neat things about yesterday-
I learned that the Magnolia tree is a cutting from the one planted in the White House lawn around 1830. President Nixon liked it so much that he had a cutting made and took it with him. Eventually, it was moved to it's spot in the Library gardens.

As First Lady, Mrs. Nixon opened the White House rose gardens to the public for the first time. She loved all kinds of roses and gardens. For her birthday, they had placed a large beautiful wreath of yellow roses in the part of the rose garden where President and Mrs. Nixon are buried. I was glad to see so many Peace roses blooming on her birthday.

Comments (11)