SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sah54_gw

Partial Sun

sah54
12 years ago

Hello,

I am in the multi-year process of fixing up my back yard. For 10+ years it was only used as the dog's yard, and I never went out there. After my divorce in 2009, I decided that I wanted to use it. In spring of 2011 I replaced a horrible wood fence with white vinyl and had a concrete sidewalk and patio poured. Right now I am having another concrete sidewalk and patio (on which I will place a fire pit and chairs) poured. Next spring I'll deal with sod as my money has run out for this year.

This years project created two areas where I want to put in some perennial plants. Yesterday I kept track of the sun and will post photos showing the areas.

I live in NE Florida and have sandy soil.

The first area is up against the house. I would like to plant something that might attract hummingbirds, but I am not sure since this area is adjacent to a sitting patio, and I would not care to have bees buzzing around. This area is facing east. Here is the morning, around 9:30AM

{{gwi:199066}}

This is noon:

{{gwi:199067}}

This is 1:45PM

{{gwi:199068}}

The other area is up against the fence (not where the concrete pavers are stacked). I tried planting hawthorn up against the fence last year. Two of the plants died, and the other two look like they are on their way to death.

This is at noon:

{{gwi:199069}}

This is at 1:00PM:

{{gwi:199070}}

This is at 5:00PM:

{{gwi:199071}}

Comments (13)