SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Looking back at 2007 (late freeze, horrific drought)

anntn6b
16 years ago

Disclaimer: This does NOT apply to my modern roses (HTs, Fls)

I've been out and under my rose bushes. And if I didn't know there had been a hideous 2007, I couldn't tell that by looking at them now.

The late freeze damaged roses, and I cut the damaged parts off the months after the freeze. Before the freeze we had begun our drought; it continued and worsened through October (but for one good week in July). Our well did not fail, but it was much slower to pump (gasped sooner) so watering wasn't that much of an option. We ended the year about eighteen inches below average.

There was almost no fall growth in the roses and only a few blooms.

Fast forward: we've had four good months of rainfall- about average but not enough to replenish our ground water.

But the rains have made the roses look good.

Because there was very little fall growth, there's little winter damage to remove.

Spring growth has left me awe struck.

R. roxburghii, in the back yard, has pushed out leaves on every cane and stem that are alive; often (dry springs), Rr chooses to abandon some stems. Not this year. This year, it's leaf city. And the same thing has happened with most of our species roses, on their dry clay knoll down in the meadow. Leaved out to the tips of their stems.

The HPs seem to be coming back on all the canes that lived through summer. The bourbons are also well leaved.

And the tea roses... ah, the tea roses are masses of red leaflets as if they've forgotten 2007 happened.

Chinas are happy that they didn't have fall growth to loose. So do the older simpler noisettes. Even Duchesse d'Auerstadt (which often looses canes and stems in winter) looks so good right now that I wonder if I will finally get height on her.

And the roses aren't making exuberant new growth; rather they're making sensible steps in filling out their bush shapes. They're responding to sun and rain.

Right now, I'd say for the long term health of my garden, rainfall in winter is possibly more important than summer rainfall. Mature roses can handle some summer dormancy and I think it makes for stronger roses in the long run.

How does this fit with what you're seeing?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting