SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beano58

best way to get rid of and make use of leaves

beano58
14 years ago

I first pick-up leaves (mainly oak) in fall using mulching mower with bagger attachment on. I unload the leaves in a back area pile and then go back and forth over them with the compost mower without the bagging attachment. This will reduce the volume of the leaves to about 20% of original volume.

I then create a pile, moisten and cover so through the winter they don't blow into neighbors yard. In the first late winter warmer days I go to city landfill and get pickup load or two load of free compost and a couple 3 large bales of peat moss from walmart. I mix into large pile and spread out and rototill. Afterwords. I put mix into large (20 gallon) old black nursery pots and place in sun. The black pots absorb heat and gets mix breaking down at pretty quick pace. Once a week or so I will go out and use pitch fork to get a little oxygen into mix.

A couple months later I use the mix to pot up perennial divisions to give to freinds and sell at garage sales. I often go through 4 hundred one gallon pots a year. Any remaining mix I apply to the soil in the fall before re-applying mulch.

Makes for a very cheap, fast draining potting mix.

Comments (9)