SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ally99_gw

When to till compost into soil for spring planting?

ally99
13 years ago

Hi everyone! We're finally thawing out a bit after 8.8 inches of snow and ice this week! I made it out to my compost tumbler today and have a few questions.

I have a homemade tumbler that I filled all spring and summer last year and tilled into my soil in early November. Immediately following, I started another compost pile in my tumbler. My pile is staying pretty cold as our temps have been in the teens at night and 30s during the day. I have been adding lots of kitchen greens every week or so as they accumulate, but many of them aren't breaking down very quickly.

My main question is this: I plan to have a garden full of tomatoes and cukes this spring and will plant in April. I'm hoping as temps warm and I continue adding greens, the pile will heat up and will be broken down enough to use prior to planting this spring. How much time is needed between tilling in this batch of compost and planting my crops? That leads me into another question. If the compost isn't exactly the perfect texture, is it still usable? Or would I need to save it and work it into the soil next fall? Thanks for answering a noob's questions! :-) Ally

Comments (7)