SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabathagk101

Flagstone patio; will this work?

17 years ago

I want to lay a flagstone patio in my backyard and have been reading everything I can get my hands on. I think I have a rough plan laid out but would like suggestions as to whether or not this is the correct way to be going about it. I plan to dig out a level bed about 6" deep and border with some sort of cut stone 8" tall and 2" wide. I want the border to box in the perimeter of the bed and stick up out of the ground about 2". Next I plan to lay 2" of hard packed, crushed stone, covered by landscaping fabric and then 4" of well packed, sharp sand on top. At ground level and inside my 2" high border I plan to arrange (and meticulously level) the approxmiately 2" thick flags. Next, I want to sweep polymeric sand in the joints and wet. Originally I had planned to use regular building sand but don't want it to wash out or track into the house.

Am I missing anything important? I want the cut stone border to hold in the sand bed but should it be as deep as the crushed rock bed? I'm plan to use the landscaping fabric to prevent sifting of the sand into the rock bed over time. I live in New Orleans where it rarely freezes and has a good amount of rain in the spring. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

Sponsored