SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

January 2009 Thread: What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

sylviatexas1
15 years ago

been away from the computer & can't find a thread for January;

if I've missed it, will someone please post a link & everyone else post on the thread that's already started?

Otherwise, here goes!

bits & pieces from a truck of shredded tree trimmings I got from a tree trimming company (I used some to refresh the mulch paths & bulk up the mulch in some of the garden beds, too)

shredded utility bills from the 1980's, don't know how those things hid for all these years!

coffee grounds

restaurant-sized tea bags

banana peels, orange rinds, squeezed-out lemon wedges

egg shells

junk mail

shavings from the litter box (an "under-the-bed" storage box, currently on sale for $5 at WM or someplace, makes a wonderful litter box if you use shavings instead of litter; the box is huge & flattish & not easily turned over)

next?

Comments (44)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Yesterday and today:

4 coffee filters (with grounds)
    1 bag of shredded junk mail
    potato peelings
    carrot tops and scrapings
    1/2 old head of lettuce
    1 gallon bag of old dry dog food
    parts of 3 old jars of jelly
    1 small bag of shredded leaves
    1 bag of vacuum cleaner sweepings and
    2 big wads of dryer lint

Dave

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    15 years ago

Question about the vacuum bag contents and dryer lint. I remember way back in 1995-1996 when I started my first bin (3 pallets wired together and lined with chicken wire) I added everything I could think of and I did add dryer lint and vacuum bag and contents. Problem is there are a whole slew of synthetic fibers of carpet and to this day (I just cleared that old site for a new Soil Saver bin to start a new pile) and I still see those fuzzy bits of carpet and it will probably never decompose. I just know I don't add stuff like that anymore as stuff like that drives me crazy having to pick out inorganic trash.

• Related Discussions

March 2010 What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (49)
    So today I added a bucket of the smelly gunk that I could scoop out of the pond, some leaves, and kitchen scraps. Will get more pond gunk this weekend if it warms up some. It was a little chilly out there tonight, to be mucking around in the pond. Could turn my bins today, mostly thawed. Emptied finished compost from the smaller pile into the almost finished compost in the other bin. Was very Happy and oh so pleased with my pile, my bins are about 3'square and one is now full of lovely 90% usuable compost, plus one very big fat mouse. Probably should have added her to the pile but couldn't do it. No where near what others can produce here but Im still pleased :-)Frogged
    ...See More

What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (105)
    Egg Shells Paper towels Spoiled fruit Dryer lint Spoiled Straw Garden Trimmings Shreded Junkmail Alfalfa Meal TeePee rolls with a little bit of teepee on it UCG Yup I have one of those compost bins that used to be a wine barrel. I opened it the other day and whooo it smelled to high hell, plus lots of hairy mold. Well I added some straw and mixed it with a fork instead of turning the barrel. I guess I added too much water or too much green material. I will keep adding paper and the like to try to soak up some of the moisture. Despite all of this it was getting warm but not hot. It's interesting reading what everyone compost. Even the wife is getting all into it. Most of the time she will ask if I want something for the compost and yesterday she even with to a big bix store and bought a small garbage can to sit on the kitchen counter for composting. Larrick
    ...See More

July Thread: What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (89)
    This morning it got kitchen scraps - bell pepper scraps, onion scraps, mushroom scraps, ucg, tomato scraps, used (uneaten) dog food, left-over coffee, tea bags, and shredded paper to add some browns to it. I then added more water to the container before taking it out to the pile - it helps get everything out of the container, wet the papers down to where they'd stay with it, and helps with the current dry state of my pile. Then all of my piles got watered, because it's been a couple weeks since our last rainfall. I do very passive composting, but whatever I'm doing seems to work, because when I turn the piles, it smells like earth. :)
    ...See More

October 2009 What Have You Fed Your Compost Today?

Q

Comments (41)
    I offered, completely altruistically, you understand, to help out a neighbouring allotmenteer by taking 2 barrow loads of spent flowers and weeds off her hands. Plus my own 6 barrow loads of weeds, spent fava and courgette (zucchini) plants. But I still haven't got that pallet bin filled yet. Very warm weather today for gardening. I was wishing I had put on a sleeveless top instead of the long sleeves I was wearing. I have four bins at the allotment and one at home. The leaves have only just started falling here. Many are still quite green. No frosts at all yet.
    ...See More
  • joebob
    15 years ago

It was dark and drizzling rain when I got home ----wanted to get home before dark to get a turn in on on my compst bin---no luck----flashlight in hand and pitchfork at the ready i went after it -----I'm wet ----- my back hurts---i got wet leaves and something i can't ID that used to be green sticking to my shoes ---- i'm a little cold ---- but it's all good---this composting stuff is the new drug of choice --------JE

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Last weekend:
    Coffee grounds
    Egg shells
    stale cereal
    stale bread
    cooked rice
    bagged lettuce
    sprouted onions
    leek tops
    turnip green stems
    turnip peels
    shredded junk mail

Gosh Dave, I never thought of jelly!

• lynxe
    15 years ago

Haven't been able to add anything in a while. Either we got home after dark or everything's iced over, including the grass, and I don't want to walk on it. :(

So I have tons of stuff piled up outside, in cardboard boxes, plastic containers, bags. Not exactly the Martha Stewart look let me tell ya.

But as soon as I can walk on the grass, I'll be adding:
    -several days' worth of kitchen scraps (carrot tops, stems from spinch, chard, & kale, some egg shells, ends of Brussels sprouts, apple cores, orange and grapefruit peels, lemon slices & seeds, onion & garlic papery skins, etc.)
    --scraps from brought-home restaurant meals, like duck skin & bones, white rice (which I don't eat)
    -several days' worth of tea bags
    -several days' worth of our coffee grounds (no filters; we have a French press)
    -maybe 10 bags of grounds from Starbucks
    -a large paper bag of used tissues; paper cups, napkins, toothpicks, and plates from art gallery openings we attended; chopsticks; paper towels; shredded junk mail; etc etc etc
    -bags of cat litter & urine
    -dryer lint (almost all our clothes are cotton or wool)
    -dust pan sweepings

Can you just imagine what our patio looks like? Yikes!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"this composting stuff is the new drug of choice"

ain't it the truth???

Yesterday I picked up 6 yellow-page phone books that had been dumped at the side of the road.

pepperz, I'm afraid you'll have to pick those synthetic fibers out by hand if you don't want to look at them for the rest of your life.

I'm not saying I've done the same thing.
    not at all...
    it's just something I know.

• joebob
    15 years ago

Hey Sylvia----what about our daily newspaper??? I don't have a shredder ---can I just rip it up by hand and mix it in the pile ???

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Question about the vacuum bag contents and dryer lint.

pepperz - we have most all hardwood floors and tile - only carpet in one bedroom and 90% of our stuff in the dryer is cottons. Life in the boonies = jeans, socks, and sweatshirts! ;)

Dave

• sprouts_honor
    15 years ago

Our florist has been saving her scraps for me. My dear sweet husband has been picking them up after work because I have jury duty this week. He's also collecting coffee grounds from work. I'm a lucky lady.

• eggle
    15 years ago

I'm a little excited. I haven't really liked coffee, but am trying to cut back on my pop intake, and switched to the coffee caffeine intake, figure it has to be better than the pop. Getting the coffee from the place I get my special teas, so I'm starting to like it better. Compost has always gotten tea leaves, and now the nice addition of coffee grounds. A week ago I chopped up the Christmas tree and added most of it. My neighbors have their tree on their porch today, thinking I might go see if I can have it too.

• mossinajar
    15 years ago

spoiled Mandarin oranges
    a dozen tea bags
    Leftover thai food (meat removed)
    half a tomato
    several leaves of lettuce
    small fruit chunks
    some flower stems

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

joebob, sorry to be so long in replying;
    just tear that newspaper until you get bored!

I never take newspaper or thin cardboard to the shredder;
    I just tear it a few times & throw it into the kitchen bucket.

& wet paper & cardboard tear more easily & disintegrate more quickly.

My compost pile hasn't had anything exotic or even interesting lately, just the same old paper/eggshells/coffee grounds/nanner peels;
    can't wait for spring!

• val_s
    15 years ago

Today I added:

egg shells
    apple cores
    clementine peelings
    dryer lint
    potato peelings
    coffee grounds (ours)
    shredded paper ('cause the garbage cans with extra leaves were frozen shut)

AND

SNOW! Lots and lots of snow!

Val

• mangogirl
    15 years ago

lots of clementine peels, orange rinds from juicing so much...I love citrus season! Tea leaves, lots of coffee grinds, ground egg shells, paper scraps, dryer lint (all cotton), leaves from under trees I am clearing..wonderful compost!...all organic.

And, yep, I was composting in the rain yesterday, too! LOL!

• nancybeetoo
    15 years ago

chicken bones, a bunch of yellowed kale, the last halloween pumpkin, apple cores, coffee grounds, bunny bedding and (squick alert) the lungs and intestines of a newborn calf. (The rest of the calf, bones and all, was cut up for dog food). Hey, its better than landfilling which is what the dairy used to do with newborn calves that they didn't want.

Nancy in chilly western Oregon

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Old mushy macaroni and cheese.

Some left over peas and rice.

A bunch of onion and garlic skins from lasagna prep.

slimy spinach

• joebob
    15 years ago

I filtched the UCG's and a rotten bannana from the kitchen at work today.I have them sitting in my office ready to go home to the pile today.Is there any medication for me now that I have truly gone over the freeken edge with this stuff???
    Yesterday I drove around at lunch looking for greens and saw a lawn care service cutting some winter grass.I think I may have gotten to excited for such a simple task!!! Is this wrong ????---JB

• takadi
    15 years ago

Pee soaked charcoal!

• adirondackgardener
    15 years ago

Every day the pile gets a 5 gallon bucket of coffee grounds and 4 buckets of wood shavings.

This morning it got a whole chicken that didn't make it through the minus 28 F. night.

Wayne

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joebob, you can relax-
    not only is there no medication that'll undo your addiction, but research shows that the more compost addicts there are, the better life is for plants, animals, & everyone else!

(&, like they say in the 12-step programs, you have to *want* to get over the addiction.)

so we're all safe.

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

*sob* I can't even FIND my compost bins under the snow, so I'm collecting kitchen scraps in 5-gal pails in the garage. No probs with 'fragrance' - my garage is unheated and we've had temps -12F etc. In December I brought in a couple of bags of dry shredded leaves so I can layer browns w/kitchen greens in the pails.
    Kris

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

Today I added egg shells, bread, rotten rasberries, moldy bagels and some garden trimmings.

• val_s
    15 years ago

I can't even FIND my compost bins under the snow

I'm trying to think of it as added moisture :-)

When I can get out there I'm going to have all the usual stuff plus an ice cream bucket full of christmas cookies.

Val

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

frozen doggie tootsie rolls.

• takadi
    15 years ago

Freezing cold in DC, and my compost heaps are frozen solid :(

• kyndall_surae
    15 years ago

Since this is one of my favorite threads to follow on this forum, would it be appropriate for me to jump right in here, or do I need to post a "formal" introduction?

Sassy (new to the forum, not new to composting)
    gammie to 2 beautiful girls, Kyndall and Surae

• adirondackgardener
    15 years ago

Welcome Sassy,

I compost year-round. In the warmer months, I don't give threads like this a second thought, but in the winter, composting reminds me I am still gardening.

Wayne

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Pile is frozen and the path back there is icy and dangerous. Rather than risk breaking a hip or crashing my tender noggin on the cinder blocks, Im putting the coffee grounds naner and orange peels, and egg shells and other non-edible compostables directly on the garden beds. When the snow melts, I will have to scurry a bit to cover them up.

Last year I fed alot of critters my putting the more edible yummys on top the frozen pile and I dont want so many baby squirrels this year, so Im starving them and putting the more yummy stuff in the trash, which causes me a small bit of anxiety about wasting the compostables, but, ya gotta weight the pros and cons. During the summer I compost tons(well, lots of it anyway) of paper and cardboard so Im telling myself its a net annual contribution.

• lynxe
    15 years ago

I'm working on a new pile here. Yesterday it got the usual:

--a paper grocery bag filled with tissues, paper towels, shredded toilet paper rolls, paper odds & ends I stashed when dining out (like our wooden chopsticks, paper napkins, bread, etc....I've become COMPLETELY shameless about it).

--the contents of the compost bucket (coffee grounds, egg shells, tea bags or loose tea, banana-orange-grapefruit peels, stems from kale, stems from Swiss chard, ends of brussels sprouts, & trimmings from whatever else....garlic, onion, spinach, celery and etc etc etc)

--fish bones & skin; chicken bones & skin

--bucket of water from kitchen washing up + some of the plate & pot scrapings = bits of oatmeal, bits of eggs, bits of whatever

--bag of scavenged leftover bread I'd stored in the freezer

--bags of cat litter (made from pine, this time) + urine

Today or maybe tomorrow it's getting:

--Ten or eleven bags of grounds from Starbucks, scroungings from the last couple of days. I'd plopped them down next to the side of our house but didn't feel like carting them over to the pile. They look like little kids all lined up and ready to go outside for recess LOL.

The Starbucks hauls have been fantastic BTW. I should post this in a new thread....when the weather gets nasty, not too many people seem to bother going on a hunt for grounds. When I've stopped, I've seen the place's bin overflowing with bags.

• lynxe
    15 years ago

Not that it matters to the general concept, but that should have read:

paper AND odds & ends I stashed when dining out (like our wooden chopsticks, paper napkins, bread, etc....I've become COMPLETELY shameless about it).

But while I'm on the topic, I had to stop our waitress from taking the pods from the edamame we'd had. I explained, as I wrapped them in a paper napkin and stuffed them in my purse, that they were for my compost pile. It's not entirely clear that she got it. And all the while, I expect that my husband was wondering, "Remind me again, why do I go out to eat with this person?" LOL

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

gammie, I hope that you aren't confessing to tossing your grandchildren into the compost pile?! :-0

• celestial
    15 years ago

1. lots of coffee grounds
    2. shrimp peels
    3. egg shells -- egg carton and all
    4. misc veggie waste from my cutting board
    5. air (from stirring)
    6. more leaves from under the grape vines (and there are still more left)

Soon to be ready to add:

1. wine corks
    2. cardboard
    3. shredded paper
    4. sticks & twigs and other landscape waste (pending the chipper/shredder when the temps get above freezing)
    5. more leaves
    6. nicely rotted veggie garden waste
    7. "used" planting soil with roots, etc., from my greenhouse

• bob64
    15 years ago

coffee grounds
    rotten oranges
    misc. kitchen scraps

• joebob
    15 years ago

I put in a mess of fish ---8 bream and one trout caught at my friends pond . I was going to plant them under my tomato plants but decided to bury them in my new compost pile.

Anybody ever done this? Hope they are deep enough to stay put and not turn into critter food.

Hope they will decompose without a lot of smell or my better half will lose her mind.!!!

JB

• kyndall_surae
    15 years ago

Hi guys. I didn't mean to post and disappear the other day, but the girls have been sick and have been demanding much (all) of gammie's attention:( They are finally feeling a little better and went back to school and day care today, so now gammie has time to post.

Today my pile got:
    lots of kleenexes
    empty kleenex box
    contents of kitchen scrap tub (onion tops/skins, bell pepper "innards", banana peels, orange peels, UCG, UTB)
    assorted junk mail, shredded
    inside liner from cat food bag plus bonus cat food "dust"

Hopefully, we have some warm weather coming in the next few days and I can get out and give my stuff a little turn.

Sassy (new to the forum, not new to composting)
    gammie to 2 beautiful girls, Kyndall and Surae

And NO, to whoever asked, I did NOT compost my babies, LOL

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Sassy! & welcome!

Today I fed the pile a bunch of vegetable parings/peelings/stems/etc, 3 very heavy bags of wet shredded leaves from someone's curbside, & the usual coffee grounds & filters, teabags, eggshells, & banana peels...plus the last "slosh" of milk in the bottom of a carton.

The days are getting longer, so we oughtta have some nice tender green weeds pretty soon!

• sunny631
    15 years ago

Well I don't have a pile but I did put some stuff underneath my leaf mulch.

UCG and filters
    banana peels
    suspension notice from my kids school ***grrrr***
    unidentifiable bowl of something that might have been corn
    TP rolls
    Jal. pepper bits
    scallions
    orange peels and some pudding boxes.

• joebob
    15 years ago

yeeeee hawwwwwwwwww !!!! its 55 degrees and i'm gonna go home and stare at my pile -------

how disturbed is it that i am looking forward to something like that --------

if the others new------ it would be capers for the caped composter -----JB

• sprouts_honor
    15 years ago

Today I churned out four heavy duty bags of compost that is headed for the newly expanded raspberry patch. Each bag contained layers of oak leaves, white pine needles and chopped branches, pieces of spruce, shredded newspaper and cardboard, old bread flour and rolled oats and an occasional layer of carnation and rose stems, coffee grounds and diced fruit peels. Hoping the snow melts some so I can get it in place.

• wiley0
    15 years ago

You asked so here goes.
    I keep an ice creme bucket in the kitchen for scraps but all it had today was a bag of carrots (we could have eaten them but they were a little old) and some burrito shells in about the same condition.

For the last month or so I have been putting my compost veggies in a 20" fan front tipped upside down and secured to a tree limb. That way the squirrels and birds get a chance at it. What falls to the frozen snow covered ground is just piling up and if we ever get spring I will scape it all up and plop on the compost pile.

• kyndall_surae
    15 years ago

today it was

egg shells
    stale tortilla chips
    shredded cardboard
    UCG
    water and residue from washing out mayonnaise and pnut butter jars
    onion skins and ends
    a couple of garlic cloves that were too far gone to use
    the little bits of leftover juice and formula from baby DGD's bottles
    couple of handfuls of leaves that blew in from the neighbors yard

that's about it

• kyndall_surae
    15 years ago

Today I "fed" my pile:

garlic/onion peelings, scraps
    the little bits of leftover juice and formula from baby DGD's bottles
    a few bites of uneaten baby cereal moistened with apple juice
    juice from canned blueberries used in blueberry muffins this morning
    a few muffin papers from above mentioned blueberry muffins
    two torn up tp rolls

that's 'bout it for today

Tonight's mindless timeconsuming activity will be ripping up some newspapers while watching a movie with the girls.

• joebob
    15 years ago

Warning : make sure the fish you put in the pile are buried DEEP-----

I didn't bury the ones I put in deep enough I guess and it looks like a backhoe dug up my pile ----must have been a hungry racoon or oppossum---

I don't begrudge the critters ---they are only attracted because of my stupidity and our close proximity to the watershed ----(we have lots of friends visit)---

I think I'm gonna stick with the vegetable matter for now untill I get a better handle on the pile ----still need to fence it in somehow ---but that will come with time ---JB

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"I have been putting my compost veggies in a 20" fan front tipped upside down and secured to a tree limb.
    That way the squirrels and birds get a chance at it.
    What falls to the frozen snow covered ground is just piling up and if we ever get spring I will scape it all up and plop on the compost pile."

great idea!