SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

getting ready for winter...

jennifer_in_va
16 years ago

I'm usually frequenting the quilting forum, but as I get my pond ready for winter here in VA, I came up with a few questions. I have an above-ground garden tie pond that is about 32" deep. It has a submersible pump & ultra-violet filter setup. We put in a submersible heater so it doesn't freeze.

One question was about winterizing water lillies. I have two that were in those hairy-type pots, no dirt. After searching around here, I think I'll dry those a bit and put them in ziplocs in the fridge, as was suggested.

Another question was about my iris. This was huge this year! But didn't bloom. I think I should have separated this into smaller pots, but I don't know how to do that. I guess at this point I can drop it to the bottom of my pond until spring (searched and found this info). But then how do I separate it into smaller plants?

My last (real) question: I have a ton of anacharis! I pull some out from time to time, but the fish & babies like to hide in it. Will this survive during the winter? And can I have too much of a good thing? Should I limit how much is in there?

Thanks for your help already!

Comments (4)