SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hardrockkid

Raised paver walk -- how to hold back the base?

hardrockkid
19 years ago

Howdy,

Putting in an area of pavers (at this point it is basically a landing in front of the steps... eventually will be a full walkway). For a variety of reasons, it is necessary to raise them above the current grade -- about 6". This will be to the point where most of the base (gravel & sand) will also be above the current grade.

When all is said and done, the whole increase in height will be covered with topsoil, tapering down to the current grade. At this point I am trying to decide how best to hold the sides of the base (the part is going to be 'above ground' for the time being) (I hope this is making sense when you can't actually *see* what I am talking about).

At first I thought I would just use boards to frame off an area a little larger than the paver surface. Fortunately, before starting down that road I realized that I can't do that -- when the boards are removed, everything would shift. And leaving the boards in place (even treated lumber) and burying them doesn't sound like an option, because eventually they'd rot, and again the surface would (slowly) shift.

So now I am seeing four options:

1) Build up the topsoil grade around the area at the start

2) Use concrete block to frame off the area

3) Taper off the edges of the base with the same material, leaving enough depth for topsoil above.

4) Use plastic edging like what will frame the pavers themselves... this would have to be done in tiers to get the full height.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Is there a 'correct' way? Or do you just have any thoughts on how to best do this?

Thanks for any input!

Comments (4)

Sponsored