SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

Need help with pergola on raised paver deck..

lmhall2000
12 years ago

I am trying to do this myself...not fearful just need some suggestions/guidance. I have 4 4x4 pressure treated 12' posts that have been laying there (still bundled) for 6 months..I need to get this started...

Here is the paver deck that I want to put the pergola on...I have enough pavers and concrete glue to make four columns in which to set the posts. Ideally, it would be best to dig up the pavers and dig a hole down 2 feet and set the posts..I'm hoping there is another option.

If I build the paver columns and cement them to the deck and to each other...would that not be stable enough to support the beams? I plan on facing them with cedar after they are up...

The span is 13 feet from the center of the planned columns (square)....

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

Also I have country manor block built up as a seat wall on 2 of the four sides of the deck..just seat height, they will not be cemented down (as they are soo heavy)but the columns will be butted up next to them...I couldn't find a picture to show that, but hopefully it's self explanatory...

Could this be stable if I insert the four by fours into my columns ( 3 feet tall) and fill with concrete? Not much concrete would be used because the columns I plan to build just leave a 4 inch center for the posts...I guess I could build a larger column but would that help if I cemented the posts into the column?

Thanks for your help!

Tara

Comments (8)