SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_b_in_wy

Bleeding Heart Question

mrs.b_in_wy
10 years ago

I started some Dicentra spectabilis seedlings last fall. They were doing beautifully, and I potted them up in mid-November. I was out of my usual potting mix and used something that must have been high in nitrogen or salts in general or who-knows-what.

Anyway, long story short, the seedlings' roots must have hit the new potting mix about mid-December when I noticed individual plants wilting. Maybe the rush of the season blocked me from thinking clearly? Whatever my problem was, I didn't catch on until after Christmas. On New Year's Day, I shifted everything out of the "juiced" mix to my regular mix and flushed the new pots with water, hoping to get rid of as much salt or whatever as possible.

Several seedlings didn't make it. The ones that are left have a healthy looking basal node (for lack of the proper term). The thing is, they've been sitting this way for a month and don't look like they plan on doing anything any time soon.

Did I shock them into a dormancy? Should I give them a cold spell and then warm them back up? They're growing in the house, with night temps in the low to mid-50s and day temps in the low to mid-60s.

I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you!

Comments (2)