SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Had patio done, now tons of materials on site, now what?

gardenwebber
16 years ago

Hi all - I posted on the landscaping forum a while back about a patio dillemma I was having. Well, now the patio has been poured and we are onto our next challenge.

The guys who did it left all the material that was dug up behind (at our request) so now we have probably 6 yards of dug up soil (gravel type) plus a large number of fieldstones and flagstones plus a large number of boulders in all sizes (all was here when we moved in). We currently have no landscaping around our home, so we are trying to figure out what to do with all this material since its here and its free. I am able to screen dirt if needed. So far, all I've done is move about 10 wheelbarrel loads of the gravel dirt from the pile to the front of the house to start surrounding our home with raised beds. Also, we have stacked a lot of the fieldstone into a dry laid "bed" on the side of our garage, complete with flashing against the siding so as not to have dirt touching the walls.

One specific question I have is what could I plan in the dry laid bed? I was wondering if there is anything I could plant in it that might grow out of the sides and look nice (ferns?) It is mostly shaded, but gets a little sun in the morning.

Also, how do you landscape around a privacy fence to set it off (it is painted a nice rusty red color) and make mowing easier?

Other than that, I am looking for inspiration (pictures) or advice as to what the "design rules" for landscaping with stone. I was thinking of doing another dry laid wall, but not sure where? I though a couple of "rock gardens" might look nice, but how, and where? Where can I find the information I need to get started?

I live in NY and want low maintenance, weedwacker free edges and I would like to use the stones without looking tacky or over stoned. And, we have 3 children 8 and under, so it needs to be family friendly.

Thanks all for your help, in advance!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor