SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawkiefriend

How to diagnose my pond water issues?

hawkiefriend
14 years ago

I have my pool-to-pond, with about 9000 gallons of water, from 4.5 to 8 feet deep, with mosquito fish and some hidden goldfish (we hope and assume, seeing them seldom), some happy plants including lilies, a ton of unhappy water hyacinths, a Savio biofilter which is supposed to filter up to 5000 gallons, a very strong pump, and brownish water.

You can see for 6 or so inches fairly clearly. The water, when placed in a glass, appears nearly perfectly clear (with a slightly goldish tinge, very slight).

There is a LOT of foam from the weir that stays in bubbles on the pond's surface. See my seeking the foam fractionator (or protein skimmer) in separate post. Too many DOCs for sure.

Is the problem that we need a bigger or another filter? This can't be as good as it gets. But before I add another one, I'd like to know what anyone else thinks. I hate that I keep trying to make the water better and nothing has worked. Though I do appreciate that the water never stinks at all now - it must be aerated!

Comments (4)