SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mirendajean

Compost Heap or Nursery?

Curious about the pork chops & pineapple I buried in the compost heap a few days ago, I went digging around in my big steaming pile. While playing around in the pile, happy as a pig in slop, I noticed a very dry pocket (around 8" square) of pet bedding on the bottom outside corner. It was white, covered in lovely white fungus. I decided to turn the dry bedding into the center of the pile.

Now, before I tell you what happened, I'd like to say that I'm not a squeamish woman. I can gut a fish and skin a deer. However I screamed like a little female dog when the double handful of bedding I'd thrown began to move...

{{gwi:258931}}

{{gwi:258932}}

{{gwi:258933}}

After looking around to see if anyone has witnessed me hollering ( (accompanied by my fists coming up in a defensive posture to fight the vicious beasts I'd uncovered) I collected as many little litter mates as I could and returned them to thier wee nest. I tried not to leave my scent on them so Thier mama won't kill them.

The inside of the pile is so hot that the pork chops are nearly unrecognizable. I'd have felt badly if I'd turned the litter into the pile to cook to death.

M

M

Comments (11)