SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chefgordon

Pouring large concrete 'stones' in place

chefgordon
14 years ago

I have a small to medium lawn in my back yard that I am eliminating, due in part to drought considerations and in part to a dislike for lawns. I'm thinking of covering the area with large flat concrete "stones" (maybe roughly 3 to 4 feet in diameter, though not exactly circular) which I hope to pour in place so that the tops of them are at the same level as the lawn currently is. (Obviously, something that size would be difficult to pour elsewhere and move into place.) I'll leave significant seams of dirt between these stones and plant them with low-growing thyme and/or mint. I need to be able to water the area occasionally and have the water soak in, as it will cover a substantial portion of the roots of a large birch tree.

Has anyone done something similar to this? The main questions that have occurred to me are:

- how to prepare the soil -- obviously, I'll need to remove soil to make room for the concrete, but how deep should I go and what, if anything, should I put in the bottom before adding the concrete?

- how to create a form for the concrete -- I want the stones to have vertical sides so the edges won't be weak and crumble or break. I'm thinking that I might use that plastic lawn edging material (basically fake bender board), put concrete release on the inside surface of it, and hold it in place with stakes around the outside of it while the concrete sets and cures.

- whether this is a dumb idea for reasons that are not apparent to someone who has not done a lot of concrete work.

I hope this is an appropriate forum to which to post this question, as I'm a GardenWeb newbie. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Comments (5)

Sponsored