SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevied_gw

Concrete Paver Driveway in Florida...Help Please

stevied
19 years ago

We need to replace our 50-year old concrete driveway as well as the sidewalk leading up to the front door. So far, the estimates for removing the existing concrete and putting in anew have been pretty high. I was wondering if I could install my own concrete paver driveway and walkway.

Any thoughts on comparable prices between the two approaches? Has anyone out there done this? I am concerned about the sub-base. I'd like to get away without putting down a crushed stone sub-base. The soil is pretty sandy to begin with (although it isn't pure sand by any stretch. Rather, we have sandy soil, like most of inland Florida). Also, it should be pretty compact since it has had concrete on top of it for the last 50 years.

What do you think? Will I need to install a crushed rock sub-base or can I get away with just removing the concrete and laying the pavers on the existing sand? I was also thinking of having footer poured around the perimter of the driveway area in order to keep the pavers from moving.

Our driveway is approximately 65 feet long and 20 feet wide.

I'm not as worried about the sidewalk as I am the driveway. The sidewalk will be approximately 30' x 4'.

Any thoughts?

Comments (3)

Sponsored