SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinl_gw

enhancing the color of natural river rock

kevinl
15 years ago

I've purchased Mexican Pebble (Black) - this is a river rock (golf ball size to baseball size) that I intend to put on top of filter fabric laying on top of my plant bed. This stone is a grey when dry but has brilliant color and variation when wet. So, I'm thinking of using some kind of natural stone enhancer/sealer on these rocks. I've tried Behr "Wetlook" sealer which is $20/gallon and coats but also pools and dries cementing the rock to the surface it's laying on while I paint this stuff on. I've tried Miracle - Mira Matte which works really well and seems to penetrate the stone without pooling but is $18/quart. I've just been using a paint brush and brushing one side of a table of rocks, letting this dry and turning them over, then painting on the other side. I'm looking for the right product that works well like Mira Matte, is cheap enough to justify painting on a lot of rocks (I've got to think this will take 5 gallons or more for a ton of rock which should cover 100 sq.ft.), and stands a chance at lasting a reasonable amount of time out in the garden sun. Someone even suggested I try mineral oil - but I haven't tried this yet.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County