SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Do you use self seeders and are you happy with them?

I have a few plants that are self seeding, that I wouldn't be without. Lunaria, Cosmos and Aquilegia. I have dabbled a bit in California poppies. Portulaca has petered out but I got a good three years or more of reseeding after I pulled them.

I do like some control in the garden. Just don't like it to get away from me and suddenly present me with unusually large amounts of work that I wasn't expecting. So as a policy, I usually stay away from self seeders and anything that has rhizomes. But, I have become more comfortable with the few that I do have and I have not found them to get so out of control that I want to rip them all out. I have violets in the yard too. In the lawn mainly. A white one that was here when we moved in that I don't care for. But I added 'Queen Charlotte' viola that is purple and fragrant and I LOVE that one. I wish it would seed around more than it does. I wouldn't care if it covered half my lawn. [g]

So, how do you feel about self seeders? Do you have any that are driving you crazy, or some that are welcome additions that make you happy?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio