SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Self-seeders dilemma

Rouge's Kalimeris thread fit with an internal discussion I was having with myself today as I was taking advantage of the pleasantly cooler temperatures to do some weeding in the front beds. Over the past couple of years I have been trying to whittle down the number of vigorous self-seeders in the garden. Most of the asters are gone - being replaced with mums; most of the Shasta daisies are also gone, but I have kept a few clumps that will (hopefully !) be more rigorously deadheaded; ditto re purple coneflowers. Alliums, campanulas, knautia, and a few other thing are on the to-be-reduced-or-eliminated list. On the other hand, there are empty spaces that need filling in around shrubs where groundcover self-seeders would be welcome. I will be seeding Fragaria vesca next month to add to ones I already have that aren't spreading fast enough. I want to add more Iberis 'Little Gem' as a groundcover. Not sure what else...

What are your good and bad self-seeders? Has your attitude to them changed over time?

Comments (18)