SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
insaneblonde

Question about pond netting

InsaneBlonde
9 years ago

Good morning,

I have a question about our pond. This year our pond has been emptied twice by a grey heron so we decided to put a net on it. The only problem we have is we have two huge bullfrogs and various smaller frogs we'd like to keep and there�s no way the big guys will get through the net to get out of the water. We have an upper level pond as well but that portion of the pond has no fish, only water plants. The frogs like to hang out there sometimes too. We are not netting that area since there�s no fish.

Right now we have the net above the pond by a good 8 inches using boards and hooks. The net is raised above the water instead of in the water as they are supposed to be. We did that because we were afraid the frogs wouldn�t be able to get in and out of the pond if we placed it on the water�s surface as you are supposed to. Frankly,it looks horrible and totally takes away from the beauty of our pond. Is there a way to put the net the proper way in the water and still give the frogs access to get out of the water/in the water w/o compromising the fish's safety from the heron? We do have an overhanging ornamental evergreen next to the waterfall that hangs about 4 inches above the water's surface for a good 3 foot diameter which I would think could help shield that area of the pond from the heron (since he won�t have an easy way to stand and get to the fish there). The only idea I had was leaving an opening underneath of that for the frogs to have access. We have a large waterfall wall that connects the lower area to the upper level and the frogs love to squeeze in between those rocks, so they hang out there pretty often as well as on our lily pads. They also love to float on the water surface. I am just trying to figure out a way to keep our fish safe without chasing off the frogs, but also keeping the beauty of our pond rather than making it look like an aquatic prison cell, lol. HELP!!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH!
Angie S.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert