SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

Can I see your trellis/arbor ideas?

grullablue
12 years ago

I am trying to learn all I can about growing grapes...as I would like to plant some in the spring, here in southern WI. Of course I haven't taste tested, but based on my research my list consists of Mars, Reliance and Marquis seedless grapes. They are all seedless, and suitable for my zone.

I've read that they take three years to bear fruit. Ugh. But...I would love to see pics of peoples' homemade trellises/arbors, because I intend to make one rather than buy something. We have grapes on the property (a bit of a walk), but my grandpa planted them years ago and used a 3 rail white vinyl fence to support them. That will be my last resort...I'd much rather build something that will make them beautiful too. Some sort of arch, or something...I'm checking out google images, but would like to actually hear from people who've made them.

One quick question....so it can take three years to bear fruit. Do they grow a lot in the first year, will they need support already? And also...do buying older plants mean faster fruiting, or is it three years after they're planted in a specific location? I saw some two year old plants of the kinds I'd like, through a garden catalog, and wondering if these two year plants will have me enjoying my grapes right from the yard sooner?

Thanks....I may be here a lot. I lurk mostly, but am a huge fruit nut, and would like to add some to my property next year. More than just the grapes...

Comments (6)