SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnaren2

Newly Planted Lilacs dying

donnaren2
12 years ago

I planted 3 Miss Kim Lilacs in my yard late in May. I planted according to the directions on the tag, and prepared the holes well, backfilling with a mix of bagged topsoil, compost, and native soil. They get plenty of sun. I watered them after planting, but then we left town for 8 days. I know it rained while we were gone, but maybe not enough? (I thought they would be better off in the ground than in the pots for 8 days...)

Anyway when we came back they all looked dried out and dead. Upon closer inspection, 2 of the three have a few green healthy looking leaves and canes, and one looks completely dead.

Are they history? Should I cut off the dead parts of the ones that have green, or wait until fall? Is the dead looking one totally dead?

One thing I did not do was separate the roots when planting--the instructions didn't mention that, but I see it now that I am reading here. (Note to self: next time read Garden Web forum BEFORE planting!!)They didn't seem too rootbound, but maybe this killed them?

Help please, and thank you!

I'm in mid missouri, and daytime temps are in the mid 90's.

Ren920

Comments (8)