SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Who is blooming now?

11 years ago

In my garden in No Cal, my earliest old roses, banksia lutea, Lamarque, Belle Portugaise, and Safrano, have all started to bloom. To my surprise so has a modern climbing miniature, Cl Rainbow's End. Who is blooming in your garden?

Here is a picture of Belle Portugaise - it has the most beautiful blooms of all of my roses, in my opinion. Unfortunately, it is 15 feet up in the air, so I get a crick in my neck looking at them!

Jackie

Comments (48)

• 11 years ago

Nothing blooming yet here in central Alabama, but it is 76 degrees today. The roses are putting on leaves and setting buds and it shouldn't be too long before the first flush. Until then I am living vicariously through the photos, so kindly posted by others. So, thank you! Belle Portugaise is indeed very beautiful.

• 11 years ago

Oh, I am always going to be living vicariously as far as Belle Portugaise goes. Dunno whether to thank you, Jacqueline, or curse for causing the envy to rise up again (yep, it isn't the first time you have done this).

• Related Discussions

Need ideas for a red blooming perennial that blooms right now

Q

Comments (25)
    Thanks Nancy! By the way, a number of the seeds you sent me in our trade have now germinated. :) (I winter sowed them.) Achillea 'Cloth of Gold', Baptisia 'Screamin Yellow', Verbena bonariensis and Eryngium are all up. In fact I transplanted the Achillea 'Cloth of Gold' out into the ground yesterday and now we're getting a nice soft cool rain to soak the seedlings in. I think I'll plant some of the Baptisisia 'Screamin Yellow' into the pictured front bed where there is a nice clump of purple Baptisia australis already established.
    ...See More

Repeat-blooming roses: when to stop deadheading for hips?

Q

Comments (5)
    If you're just looking for ornamentation in the garden then now would be fine. If you were looking for seeds to grow you should have left some to go to hips back in June. They take between 90 and 120 days to ripen fully. Most hips will turn red or orange when they ripen but some never change color at all. Just depends on the variety.
    ...See More

Double white blooming

Q

Comments (9)
    one or two days of freezing weather how lucky glad someone had it good you proably never get that low temp wise? Was a very bad winter still not over for some. Awesome bloom they sure do have a great scent thanks for sharing!
    ...See More

Will the roses blooming now (early winter) bloom again in the spring?

Q

Comments (8)
    Even though December is statistically the coldest month ever-blooming roses are often still out at Christmas here, with January being about the only time of the year when roses don't seem to be doing anything - I've had problems with rooting rose cuttings in the ground and then never getting them transplanted because they were in leaf most of the time. Spring for roses here is Feb. In fact a local weather professor says spring in general for us is Feb-Jul, with the annual summer warming and drying not fully overcoming the lingering winter wetness until Jul.
    ...See More
  • 11 years ago

My entire spring flush froze, followed by powdery mildew, which I had never even seen before. If I had not read about it here on this forum, I wouldn't have had a clue. Talk about a disastrous spring! Your BP is gorgeous, Jackie. I hope everyone else has pictures to post.

• 11 years ago

That's beautiful, Jackie! Great against that blue sky.

Sorry about your loss, Florida. Clean them up and cut them back a bit and you should get a new flush a little later.

• 11 years ago

Beautiful, Jeri! I love roses that change up as they open.

• 11 years ago

We seem to be way ahead of schedule this year. Marie Pavie, Cl. Lady Hillingdon and Angel's Camp Tea have already completed their spring flush (we don't prune so no winter hiatus) and Golden Celebration and Alister Stella Gray are now out with lots of others in bud.

Gorgeous shot of Belle Portugaise - thanks. And thanks to Jeri too - lovely rose.

• 11 years ago

Many roses have buds (unless I've cruelly disbudded them) but I have a beautiful bouquet of roses on the dining room table of Miss Atwood, SdlM, Souv. de Germain de St. Pierre, Sophy's Rose and Mme. Joseph Schwartz.

Mrs. B.R. Cant, Le Vesuve, Aunt Margy's Rose, Mutabilis (never stopped), Mr. Bluebird and Burbank are also blooming.

All over the hills here the California lilac is blooming its heart out, including four bushes on our property.

Ingrid

• 11 years ago

Wow those are some beautiful roses-not ones I've seen before.

I got my first bloom on Archduke Charles this week. Big surprise. Last year it was a tiny band that stayed potted until February. The rest of the newly planted OGR's are starting to bud out. I think I'm hooked. Some of the moderns are going out for adoption next year. Out with the new, in with the old.
    Mary

• 11 years ago

We went from cold to hot in a few days and I'm hoping all the buds will open. I have blooming:
    Mrs. Herbert Stevens; beautiful
    Mrs Br Cant; she blooms and blooms
    Catherine Mermet: love her color and scent
    Monsieur Tillier
    Alister Stella Grey
    Golden Showers; is always blooming; great rose
    Mrs. Joseph Schwartz; I think she's my favorite rose; very graceful and scented.

Many others just getting ready to bloom; hold off the heat!

• 11 years ago

It's still winter here: chilly, gray, dull, and gloomy. This has been a wet dark year. I tried to go out this morning to prune but my hands froze so I came in and settled down by the fire. The hellebores look fine and the wild violets are satisfactory as always, and the Daphne odora is in flower. But even early spring is still for the most part before us.
    However, in spite of the snow damage and the steady chill, I must say that we haven't had any severe low temperatures this year, and it's the first time that I've seen a couple of roses that set buds and tried to flower without ever stopping completely: 'Sanguinea' and 'Old Blush'.
    Everybody here is yearning for mild temperatures--like, in the fifties--and some SUN.
    P.S. Wow, Jeri, that certainly is a pretty rose.

This post was edited by melissa_thefarm on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 9:12

• 11 years ago

I have fortuniana, and Old Blush, which is blooming because I haven't pruned it yet. Pic of fort attached.

• 11 years ago

"Grandmother's Hat."
    :-)

Jeri

• 11 years ago

A very nice healthy looking Fort, Eahamel! BIG! I'd love to see your Old Blush too.

Jeri, you devil, your are going to enable me into that rose yet! And just where in the heck will I put it!

• 11 years ago

I don't know, but I do know that Lois Ann Helgeson grows it, in your general neck of the woods -- I'm sure it doesn't get as big there as it does here, which might be a plus??

Jeri

• 11 years ago

You all are making me so jealous! I don't have anything blooming right now, unless you count Rouletti which has been in a greenhouse all winter and never stopped (poor confused thing)!

I did spend the last two days planting my bareroots from Palatine, pulling some non-performing plants (Bella'Roma, Sugar Moon), pruning, weeding.....oh, the joys of spring...I looks like I've been attacked by a barbed wire fence!

Tammy

This post was edited by TNY78 on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 22:41

• 11 years ago

It's stil a little early here for rose blooms. There are a few blooms on Climbing Pompon de Paris(Rouletti).

• 11 years ago

Here's Mine! Besides the ones listed below, Dian and The Doctor were also blooming!

La France Cl.
    {{gwi:238640}}

Valencia (practically always blooming...)
    {{gwi:238641}}

October Moon (smells so nice!)
    {{gwi:238642}}

Grace Darling
    {{gwi:238643}}

• 11 years ago

Oh they're all so pretty, Aimee!

• 11 years ago

My blooms today

left: Belinda's Dream

right: La Reine

• 11 years ago

In bloom today, Iceberg, Belinda's Dream, Darcey Bussell (almost constantly it has a rose or two) Simplicity

And Grandmothers Hat

• 11 years ago

Blooming now: Cassie (hasn't stopped), Wild Edric (and has lots of buds), R. minutifolia, York and Lancaster, Stanwell Perpetual (plus buds galore), R. spinosissima altaica, Huntington Rose, Cl. Cecile Brunner, Sequoia Gold, Excellenz von Schubert, and Reine des Violettes.

With buds about to open: R. primula, William's Double Yellow, Grandmother's Hat, Golden Border, Sunny Day, Polly Sunshine, R. alabukensis, R. borissovae, R. xanthina, R. fedtschenkoana, Rosa omeiensis 'Pteracantha', Julia Mannering, Madame Pierre Oger, Micrugosa Alba, Francois Premier, Europas Rosengarten, and Emil Nolde.

Melissa

• 11 years ago

None of my roses are blooming here. I have buds close to opening on Frontier Twirl and Louise Odier and Oklahoma (which has aphids...). I have buds barely apparent but not close to opening on Maid of Honor ($5 at Costco!). Nothing else has anything but lovely new leaves. My 2 new bare roots are getting some good leaves, but really, nothing rosie is busting out here yet. I'm still enjoying hyacinths (large and grape) and narcissus, and my dianthus is JUST starting to bloom - I had chopped them short a few months ago, and waited to see if they lived through the winter or not. Yes, they did! My Japanese maples are starting to show a wee bit of leaf, but are just barely out of the bud stage. Fuchsias are getting new leaves that are not even 1/4" long. My hydrangea is just breaking dormancy, it has pretty green leaves that are very small still. My TB iris leaves are getting close to a foot long, but not all of them are, and there are no bud stalks showing as yet. Freesias are about to bloom, some of the buds are fattening up and turning yellow. My cerinthe that overwintered is flowering - funny looking things!

I brought my spider plant indoors all winter, and took it out a few days ago. It's too cold for it, apparently, as multiple leaves are turning a nasty brown. I brought it back in this afternoon, and it will stay here until the ficus and the ceropegia go out - in a few more weeks.

• 11 years ago

I got home from today's rose society meeting and saw a bud on Hermosa showing her deep pink color. Looked further and saw Mme Abel Chatenay's one bud also showing petal color. Lauren and Sweet Chariot with petals showing, still tightly closed though. SDLM, Leonie Lamesch, and Polonaise have one or two early buds. Everything is just starting to green up (or red up in the case of the Teas). New growth is only a couple of inches long.

The freeze did a number on us, too, a month ago when the garden was tricked into thinking it was spring. Nature lied, and they were all blooming or were about to, and then it was gone. Now the real thing has arrived (even though it's unbelievably chilly at night and in the mornings), and I'm thrilled. It's like Christmas morning when I was a kid.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• 11 years ago

The picture of 'La France' is gorgeous...Wow.

• 11 years ago

We have several weeks to go still in North Carolina. Shiny new growth is appearing everywhere but not even a hint of a bud yet. Still -- very early spring is not without its loveliness: hellebores, daffodils, tiny spring bulbs, all blooming. And the sweet scent of hyacinth.

These are such beautiful pictures! I have never seen R. chinesis spontanea. Thanks, Jeri, it's very pretty.

• 11 years ago

I saw, first, mature plants at Garden Valley Ranch, in NoCal. They had it growing by a small pond, and it was breathtaking. It is, apparently VERY difficult to propagate by cuttings, but I am glad that the Quarryhill Botanical Garden brought it to the U.S. in the form of seed.

Jeri

• 11 years ago

Jeri: Did you grow it from seed yourself? Or did the botanical garden make seedlings/plants available? Please, tell us your story :) I can imagine how lovely it would be beside a small pond with the reflection, floating petals...

• 11 years ago

In full and glorious bloom at my house are Madame Joseph Swartz and Archduke Charles. Also blooming but more sparsely are Mrs BR Cant, Ducher, Louis Philippe, Valentine, and SDLM. I've had one bloom on my baby Grandmother's Hat and two blooms on Titanic (floribunda). Wow! That one sure smells good. The other roses have many buds.

Also blooming is the green oxalis with pink flowers (purple leafed one is slower) and my Texas Mountain Laurel tree (smells like grape kool-aid to me). That one always gets the attention of the neighborhood walkers because it's planted close to the mailbox by the street. My redbud is about to bloom. I've had spotty bloom already on two of my iris varieties but they are all making buds. The neighbor's red quince is finished and her early yellow iris are blooming abundantly - so cheerful.

Wish I had pics for you. I need to take the time to learn to post those. Lou

• 11 years ago

First bloom of Rev D'Or.

• 11 years ago

Jeri, another one of your delicious roses unavailable to me. HMF lists only Burling as having it, and she doesn't ship to Florida. Anyone know of a place?

• 11 years ago

Wild Edric, first flower of the year, early evening today. The bloom is really several shades darker than it appears, but this rose is very hard to get the color accurately in a photo as its colors are swirled.

Melissa

• 11 years ago

This is what I love about ARF-----sitting here in the cold northeast and looking at all these gorgeous roses lifts my heart We have the lovely little crocus in bloom that have spread all over our yard-----Thanks for sharing.
    Florence

• 11 years ago

Archduke Charles, Colombian Climber and Lady Emma Hamilton have all been flowering well all through the winter.
    Sombreuil, Blush Noisette, Teasing Georgia, Marechal Niel and Archduc Joseph have all produced occasional flowers all winter. They have all been a complete joy through the colder months.
    Yesterday, the first bloom of Abraham Darby appeared.
    He is planted near a wall facing north west, so doesn't get much sun in winter.

Abraham Darby yesterday.

{{gwi:238646}}

Lady Emma Hamilton yesterday.

{{gwi:238648}}

Sorry about the wheelbarow and compost bag in the background. I am working in that area at the moment.

My Zantedeschia is starting to bloom now

{{gwi:238650}}

My Darwin tulips in pots have been blooming since early February.

{{gwi:238651}}

{{gwi:238652}}

{{gwi:238653}}

Daisy

• 11 years ago

Daisy: What a gorgeous garden you must have! Those are great pictures. I love the shot of Lady Emma Hamilton with the citrus tree in the background - you can almost smell the warm roses.

• 11 years ago

Daisy, I think that is THE best picture of Abraham Darby I've ever seen! Gorgeous photos altogether and the potted plants look too perfect to be real. When your garden is in its full spring glory, please post lots of pictures.

Ingrid

• 11 years ago

Micrugosa alba, from Vintage. I may need another.;)

Melissa

• 11 years ago

First flower of the year on R. primula (Pickering).

I wish there was a repeat-flowering primula, of any size, big, small whatever, I'd make room in my garden for a plant like that!

Melissa

• 11 years ago

I just figured out how to post a picture but don't know how to post multiples on one post. I've tried researching a bit but nothing works so am posting these separately. If anyone knows how to post multiple pictures, I'd appreciate the help. I have a Mac and posted the pictures to Flickr but can't figure out how to post them to the Gardenweb.

Here's a picture of my front yard today. This is Golden Showers and the very prolific Mons Tillier.

• 11 years ago

Another picture of my front yard. The orange rose is Livin Easy and that is Mrs BR Cant to the right

• 11 years ago

One more

• 11 years ago

Jaspermplants - all of your roses are so lovely! I really like the trellises, and the arbor thingy above what looks like the entrance to your house.

I had a Golden Showers for years - unfortunately it died, but for 20 years it bloomed almost continuously from April through Nov, as long as we kept it trimmed.

Jackie

• 11 years ago

Beautiful. The path is so inviting. What a pleasure it must be to sit in the shade and enjoy so much lovliness. Lou

• 11 years ago

Thanks for the compliment about my roses. This is my front yard, and I had the pergola built on the front of my house about 3 years ago, so I could grow roses on it. I also built all the trellis' for rose growing. I do have a few other vines on them you can't see from this picture. Luckily I live in a neighborhood without a HOA (hate them!) so I can pretty much do what I want, within city code, of course. It is amazing how the roses get better each year!

Jackie, the pictures of your garden are always a treat and a great inspiration for me. I always look forward to seeing them!

• 11 years ago

Queen Anne, my new Austin, has several buds.

Marie Pavie and Sophie's Perpetual are both blooming. Sophie's is new, and every bloom so far has been so beautiful and nicely scented.

Still waiting on everyone else.

• 11 years ago

Archduke Charles, Crespuscle have about 50 flowers right now. Melody Perfume has 2 flowers at the moment. Oh yeah, 1 flower from Granada and Julia Child. :-)

• 11 years ago

I have some new leaves, does that count? These showed up on the roses in the winter pot ghetto last week. For me it's as exciting as the first bloom! It means spring is coming!

• 11 years ago

Yes, seil, leaves do count! It's the beginning of great things to come!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz