SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimc1947

classic non-patented roses

jimc1947
16 years ago

I live in Tyler, Tx. home of the so called "Tyler rose". Many roses that show up here now are shipped in from Arizona and California and the local rose growers are feeling the pressures. I have recently started a small rose business for my grandson to make some college money and get experience in life and business as well as agriculture. We have dedicated this effort also to promote the local home grown roses, and have been buying from the local growers as they dig their roses, all of which are non-patented varieties. Pressures from out of town along with the extra cost of paying for patent fees, the local independents cannot afford to grow many exotic varieties.

We purchased a variety which they call Redcap. It has been grown here for at lest 40 years according to one grower because of it's hardyness. I can find no information on this variety at all, it may have been re-named a long time ago by the locals to avoid patent fees, who knows? But if anyone knows this rose, as it is or my another name, please let me know. It is a red, florabunda type plant.

Ok now another thread. We are building an antique rose mini trail for the tourists who visit Tyler's rose garden and Azelia trails, and stop by our green house. It is hard to find a list of reliable standards/classics/antiques/whatever and even harder to find a source for cuttings. Old timers speak of the 'Seven Sister's' rose, there is a bit of info on this and I can even remember having it on the farm 50 years ago. So, my grandson, Zachery, and I would like any input on establishing the trail project. zachstylerroses is our page. tyvm jim

Comments (4)