SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdjam

Liner leak question - water under liner now

jdjam
11 years ago

Hi Folks,

First off, many thanks to all of you; as I have been reading your great advice here on pond leaks. It has helped me tremendously, but now I'm stumped.

I live in Richmond, VA. I have a Koi pond in my back yard with 15 small to medium koi. The pond consists of a lower pond that is a half-oval, 14' x 8' and about 24" deep at center. There is a 12" shelf around the outer ring. The upper pond is a 3' x 3' x 3' deep pebble filter that waterfalls down to the lower pond directly (no stream bed).

I have a 2400 gph mag drive pump that pulls water from the lower pump and pushes the water up through the pebble filter. The pond has been trouble-free for the two years I've owned the house. It was installed in 2000, and I have no records from the installation.

About three months ago, the pond started dropping about 3/4" per day. I used the advice here to isolate the upper and lower ponds and the plumbing. The leak is in the lower pond.

Last week, I let the pond keep leaking down, thinking that the water level would stop dropping at the level of the leak. Well, I got down to 7" and still dropping so the leak is likely on the floor of the lower pond. I can see why some of you describe this as one of the most frustrating experiences! I spend a good 10 hours crouched in the pond feeling every square inch of the liner looking for a leak. I tried watching disturbed sand and the milk-drops trick to no avail.

I come home from work yesterday and see that the water level has dropped 3" and paniced. I look down and see that about 20% of the liner on one side has swelled up with displaced water underneath it, I must have disturbed the escape path of the leak or made the leak worse.

My questions to you experts is this: How can I make this most-recent event work in my favor? Would you guess that the leak is on part of the displaced liner? Or is the leak near the displaced liner and the water that's leaking out is finding it's was to the displaced liner?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

Comments (12)