SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

For Ladyrose65: Sorry about your loss & found the salt contents

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

For Ladyrose65: I'm very sorry about your big loss of roses. I did some research on Mill's Magic Feed and found the culprit: the salt contents of fish meal and Milogranite (sewage sludge) are quite high. Here are some excerpts:

From the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations - Poultry Development Review:

"Some fishmeals may be objectionable because

of putrefaction, impurities or excessive salt content. Samples containing as much as 15 percent salt are not uncommon."

From a paper on Horticultural use of sewage sludge:

High soluble salt levels are likely to be the

major problem associated with excess use of compost

made with sewage sludge (Gouin, 1977;

Gouin and Walker, 1977).

Below is a link to the salt content of various chemical fertilizers. It is recomended that potassium phosphate be used rather than potassium chloride (high salt index of 116.2, versus an index of 10 for triple superphosphate, which is used in large-scale agriculture, but not sold over the counter.).

Ladyrose65 - I feel for your loss, and best regards to your garden. My 3-year old once "shake-and-bake" my tomato garden with 10-10-10 pellets fertilizer. I scooped the top 1" off my soil and it was OK again. Rose Unlimited has a sale either the second or third week of June where everything is $10 per gallon - I got big roses from them during that June sale. BurlingtonRoses@aol.com has a large selection of thornless and OGRs' for $10.95 a band, and $7.50 for mini-roses. They send you their list if requested, and the shipping cost for band-size is low.

I hope my Knock-outs die, so I can replace them with thornless roses. The hardest part of gardening is shovel prune the ones I don't like, I have a hard time killing plants on purpose. Accepting the losses of plants is easy for me (I lost tons through a harsh winter, or a wet spring).

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt index of various fertilizers

Comments (4)