SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Starting from Seeds - Corrections of Mistakes

saoodhashim
10 years ago

I am a new gardener (starting with container gardener on the roof as I don't have any garden space) living in the hot climate of Saudi Arabia in Al Khobar (these days the highest temperature over here exceeds a bit above 100F - Ranges from 80-105 and expected to remain that way until mid of October).

Last time (My first time) I started my seeds in May and they started off but in June the temperature got so high (upto 120) that everything just stopped and died in a months time.

Back then, I bought a potting mix and it was really moist when it came out of the bag and I could grow seedlings without first moistening it (I only used to sprinkle from above after sowing the seeds and was able to see seedlings emerge in a week to 10 days time). I thought perhaps all the soil mixes are that way.

Later, just a few weeks back, I found bit cheaper option and I planted my seeds only to realize a week later that the mix was not at all moist and my sprinkling is not providing it enough water for any sufficient length of time.

Then I thought to bottom water it today (after reading some posts on the Gardenweb). I have 12 small 4" pots in which I have sowed the seeds. By bottom watering I was only able to get 5 of them reach the surface of the soil in about 2 hours and the remaining still stand in water with no sign of surface becoming any darkish like the remaining.

Will appreciate your advise in this scenario. Should I discard the seeds and start afresh by following the proper procedure? Should I water deeply from top? Should I do something else?

Will really appreciate any experienced advice.

Regards

Comments (5)