SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

US measurements

User
11 years ago

Here in the UK, we have resisted but ultimately gone over to a metric system of weights and meaures (apart from very old people and Mr.Campanula who still works in feet and inches, pounds and ounces). I am more than happy to work to base 10 so adopted litres and kilos quite happily. However, I am hugely confused by the US measure of a gallon - which I understand to be equivalent to 4.5 litres ....or a container which is roughly 8 inches (or21 cm) diameter. I regularly come across references to 3g or 5g pots(for shipping) which never look to be anything like the expected size. A 3gallon (13.5litre) pot would be over 30cm in diameter while a 5g (22.5 litres) pot would be almost 15inches diameter and require 3/4 of a standard bag of potting soil,
The green David Austin pots are around 6 litre pots....or about 1.2 gallons.
In the UK, the two systems of measurement have become somewhat elided so that people will use a pound (1lb) as interchangeable with half a kilo.
Pot sizes used to be standardised as a certain number of terracotta pots which could be made from a standard amount of potting clay....and numbered as such. A pot with a no. 8 would be much larger than a pot numbered 15 (8 pots out of a load rather than 15 smaller ones). Since we all use plastic, the measurement system has gone to seed a little. I use 9cm (3inch) pots for pricking out seedling, graduating to 5inch (almost 1 litre) pots for perennials....while permanent plantings of roses will go into 10 gallon pots(50cm x42cm, 20" x 16"). My largest pots are 3feet dia. and have a volume of 350litres....or about 75 gallons. I have peach trees in these pots.
So, how does my understanding of weights and measures chime with the US version. What sizes are equivalent to what weights?
I know this post is hugely boring, but as a somewhat nerdy gardener in this aspect, I would welcome some clarity.
By the way, what's with the US measurement of 'cups'? Nothing baffles me more than converting a cup of butter or eggs into UK weights and quantities - and since my favourite baking books are from the US, this is a serious nuisance, having to overwrite recipes with sticky cook's fingers.

Comments (28)