SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

privacy shrubs for open meadow?

We have a 3 season farm, zone 5a, in the mountains. Just wood stove cabin/barn. Garden has been in for 15yrs now, completely private by the nature of the rolling landscape.

Closed and put to bed last November...
A month ago opened up and tapped our maples trees.
Very harsh winter and somehow the neighbors managed to build a home. (we are happy for them as the process was a long one needing to keep the original footprint of their cabin...so they went UP)

After years of privacy, i can now see their upper window at almost every spot where i garden...and have an outdoor shower fed by a natural stream, gravity fed, heated by a coiled water line on a rock ledge....and a hammock under an elder plum...not a nudist, : ) ,but it has been a nice calm therapy place for years.
(nude for the time it takes to shower and dry off casually)

Fortunately, a dozen yrs ago, i did join the coop extension native plant ordering and planted a hundred various 'twigs' that gave a good wind break and some are now 6-15 ft and strong. Did get about 70% with a spade wiggle, poke and stomp, then ignored. We get good consistent rain weekly.

I put down some prep black tarps in the sight line to kill back some of the field wild brush...now need some full sun ideas for plantings. I'm soaking some red twig cuttings from the mama 'twig' that is now enormous. (a no brainer as that thing is hard to kill) But might work a bit. But not evergreen.

I'm sure when the field of wild grain, wild flowers, milkweed, etc comes up it will be private again...but this past weekend, with 75 temps and still barely any leaves, we felt exposed.

Just looking for suggestions. About a 5-10x20ft area should cover it.
The link is what i plan to do with the red twig osier as the landscape is similar. The offending window is about a football field away.

Here is a link that might be useful: transplanting red osier

Comments (5)