SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockpond_gw

Need suggestions for privacy / shrubs / hedge

rockpond
15 years ago

Hello - this is my first time posting on this forum and I am looking for suggestions. Here's my situation:

I have about 400 feet of road frontage on a rural 2-lane road. I'm going to be installing a new pasture fence along the road and I plan to leave plenty of room between the fence and the road right-of-way to plant some type of shrub or tree that will grow and form a privacy row. Here are my wishes and other details.

The location is in full sun

I am in the western piedmont / foothills of North Carolina about halfway between Asheville and Charlotte and about 10 miles North of the South Carolina border. Typical clay soil.

I want something that grows fast, will from a dense visual barrier and it needs to grow at least 10-12 feet tall - taller is OK. I also want something that isn't high maintenance - I don't want to be constantly spraying for pests, etc.

I can water the plants as necessary, that isn't a problem.

Something that has an attractive year-round appearance, flowering or fall color would be nice. I don't mind trimming if necessary to keep up appearances, but I would rather not have something that requires multiple trimmings per year. I'm not lazy, I just have a lot of other things to attend to.

I have considered elle agnes (sorry about the spelling) but those I have seen seem wild and wooly - not a very well kept appearance.

I have also considered chindo viburnum but have read that other people have problems with spotting on the leaves and end up spraying constantly.

Someone suggested carolina cherry laurel but I don't know much about it or if it will survive in my area. (Does it grow wild on the roadside?)

Leyland Cypress is a consideration but when planted in rows, a lot of them seem to develop large brown spots. Someone recommended a Giant Thulja (or something like that), similar to Leyland Cypress, but I don't know much about it. I'm concerned that bagworms might be a problem on those two - but I guess I could spray if necessary.

Whatever I decide on, I'll probably order from a nursery and install myself.

I'm open to suggestions or I'll provide more information if I've left out anything.

Thank you,

rockpond

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus