SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

If you could start over....

lucillle
12 years ago

I am planning new gardens since my move to a smaller house. Although it will be a lot of work, and I miss my old garden, I've learned a few lessons along the way that will actually make starting with a blank slate a positive experience.

This time I am going to make the gardening areas narrow and small enough so it is easier to reach in and weed and work with the roses. My last garden was too deep and I loved getting new roses so I would sneak a new rose into any available space, so when all the roses matured it was difficult to get in and do anything.

I'm going to put all the gardens within easy hose reach, which will be fairly easy since the yard is tiny. At my previous house I used to have to unroll a 75 foot hose in order to get to everything.

And I am going to be more diligent about checking rose descriptions before I make a purchase this time. No more blackspot magnets. No more purchases of gargantuan roses like Mermaid hoping to keep them tamed into a small space, for certain roses that is just very hard to do. I loved Mermaid but one would take up my entire yard now.

What would you do different if you had to start over?

Comments (19)