SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcjcjcx

Nemo's gone/my new frogs/pond ok/Arizona-California trip

jcjcjcx
16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm back and I'm happy to say that my pond looks in good order after a few weeks vacation in July, and now 2 weeks away in August.

Sadly as I started my July vacation (at Mom's cottage with my kids), my husband reported to me that my largest goldfish 'Nemo' was missing and the rest of the fish were very spooked. When I returned from the cottage I thoroughly checked and Nemo was definitely gone. Not sure if it was a raccoon or cat. This is the first time I've mysteriously lost a fish... so it is quite upsetting.

While I was at the cottage I brought home 5 Green frogs and 6 Leopard frogs. Most of the Leopard frogs have slowly disappeared... I guess they headed back north looking for the lake! However my Green frogs seem content to move into their new habitat.

Now I have just returned from visiting Phoenix, AZ & San Diego, CA. Thanks to all of you that have responded to my emails regarding pond shops. I visited at least one pond shop in each state (both had beautiful ponds) and brought home the 'Scarecrow' motion sprinkler. Funny that they make it here in Canada, yet I could buy it for so much less in the US.

Again thank goodness my pond was in pretty good order and my water had finally finally cleared up (no longer cloudy and greenish). I did find one dead Leopard frog floating in the water (discoloured with his eyes missing), and one Green frog seems to be missing. There were also 3 minnows dead sucked into the pump prefilter, however, the rest of the minnows (this year's baby goldfish), and my regular guys (goldfish) are okay. I'm surprised at how much the Green frogs have grown, some most have almost doubled in size. My current frog count is 4 Green frogs and 1 Leopard frog. I look forward to setting up the Scarecrow tonight!

Comment (1)