SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

No more roses for me.

User
11 years ago

I believe I have come to the end of buying roses, at least for the forseeable future. Am I sad? Well, nope, not really. With around 100, I seem to have reached a fairly natural limit in that I have as many of the types, colours and sizes that I need - anything else is just repetition since I invariably select singles, semi doubles, species, hybrid musks, ramblers and the odd shrub type. I mean, how many pink species roses do I need? Out of the half dozen I ordered, I gave 2 to my daughter, plonked 2 anywhere there was a space on the allotment and stuck 2 in pots, waiting (for Godot?)
Obviously, if a rose appeared which was significantly different to my others, and was a complete novelty pick, I might be unable to resist but, with no disrespects whatsoever to those of you still in the throes of ordering, I am finding my priorities have become a tiny bit skewed and gardening has been threatening to turn into a mere shopping expedition for more of the same. I am even finding myself berating my greedy tendencies and feeling slightly sickened, given our personal financial woes and the larger ones of our failing economy. Yes, I know that, in an economy built on consumer capitalism, cutting back the spending could be seen as a retrograde step but I actually feel that I am losing track of what was really important to me - attaining skills, nurturing little plantlets from seed, tending my soil, building a garden from what is freely and locally available.
So, with the new acreage, it is back to basics for me, remembering the heady days of seed sowing and massive propagation attempts, with a bit of grafting and general meddling thrown in. Naturally, it is easier to be preachy when ones own circumstances forces change upon you but, still, that is as good a reason as any to attempt to step a bit more lightly on the planet and to reinvigorate a lot of youthful idealism which seems to have been degraded by cynicism and complacency (my own). More to the point, there are no funds to be stocking this wood with bought-in plants - they are going to have to come from my own stocks and whatever cuttings and seeds I can scrounge from friends (the 3 I still have) and the local botanics........a stock of 100 roses is as good a place as any to make a start and, since the shady woods are not likely to be welcoming to many of the roses, I feel a new primula (although they are swine from seed) obsession taking root.
Of course, writing this (having opened my monthly bank statement) in a state of self-denial (which may not last beyond teatime), it definitely helps to put a moral spin (for the sake of humanity, blah blah) on the situation rather than holding my head in my hands and surrendering to strong alcohol (and stronger drugs).
We shall see.......although, as bare root season is now over, this is an easy resolution to keep. Feel free to remind me, next autumn.

Comments (29)