SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Rain, rain, go away!

jacqueline9CA
13 years ago

So, it looks as if we (here in Nor Cal) might actually get the "40 days and 40 nights" of rain - not really, of course, as we have had clear days - maybe one a week for the last 3 weeks! A new storm just arrived this morning, and they predict 2 more between now and the weekend. I grew up here, and do remember that this was very usual in the '50s and '60s, but since then we have had so much drought that I guess I got used to it!

I did manage to get most of my roses pruned a while ago, and threw Osmocote & mulch on them maybe a month ago. Question - should I presume that the fertilizer has all washed away by now and start over again, if this Monsoon weather every stops?

Another problem is that we seem to have acquired deer that visit every night (despite living within 4 blocks of downtown on a very busy street), and of course they are madly munching the new growth on the roses. Usually I would spray "deer away" or some similar thing on them, but this torrential rain makes going out in the garden a joke, not to mention that it would just wash anything off immediately. Unfortunately the deer do not seem to care about the rain. Many of the bushes have all of their new leaves shredded - luckily our deer are short and not very hungry - they only eat what is right at their head height - anything above or below that is OK. So, when/if the rain stops and I get anti-deer stuff on the roses, will they just keep putting out new leaves & buds?

Jackie

Comments (14)