SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
groundbeef

Worst. Weekend. Ever. Total Disaster

groundbeef
12 years ago

I had recently had some trouble with my water quality that caused a spate of fish deaths. I lost 7 large goldfish, but finally got the PH under control, and everything was doing well.

My 3 Koi had survived, as had 7 other large goldfish. The Koi were both well over 18" long, and the goldfish were all in the 8" range.

Sunday morning we were getting ready for church, I fed them and noticed the water level had been going down due to the heat. I turned on the hose, then got pre-occupied by other duties getting everyone ready to go.

Long story short, the hose fed into the pond for about 2 hours while we were gone. Upon coming home, it hit me that I had forgotten to turn off the water. I rushed outside, to see that I had killed every fish in the pond.

There was one black goldfish that was gasping, I put it in a holding tank, and dumped in chlorine neutralizer. He somehow managed to survive the rest of the day, and was barely hanging on today.

Everything else was a total loss. My crayfish have survived, I saw them skittering around. And my two large Pleco's managed to survive (seemingly w/out any problems at all.) In fact I had trouble catching them while cleaning out all the dead bodies.

We will be replacing the fish on Friday, but of course it's not fun thinking about the old fish. What a horrible way to go.

I feel like such an idiot. A totally preventable accident. Wife said next time, we only top off the pond when we are sitting outside, next to it. I agree. Arrrggh.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County