SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomichelle

dead roses blowing my mind by... growing new roses

nomichelle
16 years ago

I used to be a dancer and I've had some boyfriends so I've gotten a lot of cut roses and kept them in lots of vases and, not surprisingly, they all have eventually died, dried, and molded (when left to their own devices for long enough).

But something bizarre is happening right this instant atop the turntable in my bedroom. My boyfriend gave me a few roses for Valentine's Day and I put them in a vase and gave them the rose food in the packet the flower store gave him and i change the water a couple of times over the next several days and then I said my goodbyes and left them to fade away. And they did. They died, because that's what flowers in vases *do*, and for a few weeks my boyfriend has been making fun of me for not just throwing them out already, but this morning when I was going to do just that I noticed some small, fresh green leaves on one of the dead(?) stems, and then I noticed a whole new tall stem with a tiny bud growing off another of the dead(?) stems. My mind was effectively blown.

What is happening? I don't garden roses (I don't "garden" anything, though I seem to finally have found my knack in very small cacti and succulents that don't need my love) and I have no idea what to do with this.

I'm hoping somebody will tell me some sacred secret myth... the legend of the zombie rose... and how whoever gives the undead flower is the receiver's soulmate... and how I can just let these half-dead/half-living roses carry on as they are and they'll magically thrive right here....

But what I *need* is for somebody to please tell me what to do now that I've got a brain-eating babyrose growing up out of the body of a dead elder in a vase of 4 week-old water. I want to keep it!

Comments (5)