SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
koijoyii

Has anyone tried................................

koijoyii
13 years ago

Lisa's (goodkarma) homemade fish food recipe? Would like to hear some feedback if you have.

I just made a batch last night and I must say my koi don't want to eat the Hikari Gold anymore. I cannot say enough about this food. I know exactly what my koi are getting. I buy all organic fruits and vegetables so I know they aren't getting any chemicals or additives. The pet store who took a lot of my koi fry couldn't believe how big and beautiful my koi fry were, and remarked that they have never seen such vibrant coloring in koi anywhere. Now that the days are getting shorter I give them the homemade food in the morning and the Hikari Gold in the evening. I was giving them the homemade food three times a day. When I throw the Hikari Gold in the pond they swim around like "Yeah, right, we want the good stuff." I swear they grew three inches longer this summer eating this food. The five koi that I bought two years ago have caught up to my five year olds. The koi fry that were born in May are now about six inches long and very fat. (Unfortunately too fat to fit in the minnow trap so they have been granted amnesty until I can figure out a new way to catch them) Maybe I'll have to put them on a diet. lol I paid approximately $75 for an 11# bag of Hikari Gold online, so the price is around the same, I don't know what the shelf life is for bagged food, but at least I know the homemade food is fresh. I always make a double batch and freeze about 2/3 of it after baking. I take it out of the freezer as I need it. Making this food is well worth the effort because the rewards are amazing. If my fish could be still for even a minute I would try to get some pics to post, but when they think I am going to give them this food they go ballistic.

Jenny

Comments (11)