SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missmymatersofks

Bayberry (Wax Myrtle) Shrub

missmymatersofks
15 years ago

I am going to have to replace a 10-year-old hedge this year, and I need a little advice. I am in southeast Georgia (about 100 miles inland), and the hedge is used as a windbreak as well as a good line of shade from the HOT summer sun. It isn't uncommon for us to have temperatures in the 100s with relentless humidity in the summertime. In the wintertime, temperatures here usually don't dip any lower than about 20 degrees for more than a few days. The area of the hedge is in full sun with good drainage, although it can become a bit wet in the wintertime.

I am quite familiar with Bayberry from frequent visits to our 2nd home on Sapelo Island, where it grows wild over most of the territory, and I wonder if it might be my best choice. I love the wonderful aroma that Bayberry gives as well as the insect-repellant properties of its leaves and the handful of uses for its berries!!! However, I have never paid much attention to:

1) how tall it generally gets,

2) how thick it becomes,

3) how often it requires trimming as a hedge, or

4) how much foliage it drops on a regular basis (very important to us, actually). . .

so that is what I'm trying to find out. Can anyone clue me in? I do know that it is EXTREMELY hardy, which is another major plus.

The hedge that I currently have is (what we down here refer to as) a "Red Tip". It did well for several years, but I have since learned that it is not very disease resistant at all. Over the past year or so, it has been continuously dropping most of its HUGE leaves, and many of the plants are already dead as a wedge. :)

Thanks!

~Lisa

Comment (1)