SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keeval_gw

quick question re: moving seedlings outside

keeval
12 years ago

I am brand new to growing from seed, unless you count the seed we planted in a milk container in kindergarten, over 40 years ago.

I have started some corsican mint from seed. They are very tiny seeds (invisible in the dirt) that germinate into fragile looking seedlings. I have about 50 4" pots of seedlings. They germinated a week ago and I have been keeping them under florescent lights. Today, I moved them outside to the front porch, which gets almost 100% shade, except for a bit of filtered light starting around 4:00 p.m.

At this point, can I just leave them on the porch, 24 hours a day, moving them into direct sun little by little (i.e., more each day) until they seem ready to be planted? Or, should I bring them back inside this evening, maybe give them some more time under the lights, and put them out again tomorrow? Temps in the coming days are supposed to hit 90.

Also, will leaving them out increase the chances they pick up gnats or bugs? I don't want to bring those back inside, if so.

Thanks!

Comments (7)