SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connie1946_gw

about soil less starter mix...how long does it help the plant?

connie1946
15 years ago

After my nasturtiums seeds sprouted I uncovered and kept them under lights. Now they are 2 or more inches tall and have their second set of true leaves.

QUESTION: The soil less seed starter mix has no nutrients. The seedlings are growing their 2nd sets of true leaves...but how long can they stay in the soilless mix?

And how long do they have to stay under the lights?

I'm in Door County, WI. and will have 6 or more weeks to go before no frost danger.

Somewhere I read that at his time I should transplant these delicate seedlings into something 'tastier' than soilless mix and continue to raise them under the lights for the rest of the 6-8 weeks. but this way...after they are hardened off they'll be getting a second transplanting.

And I'm not sure if it's SIZE or WEATHER that will tell me when to move them out.

Will the plants even survive if they stay in soil-less, under florescent lights that long? I'd like to start seeds right off in something that can support them for the whole indoor time.

Another question: If everything has to stay under lights I will eventually run out of room under lights. So I wonder if, when the seedlings are 3" or 4" can some be moved to sunny windows so I can keep using the lights for the youngest plants?

**What do any of you experienced people think of this idea:Instead of just soil less starter to begin...Mix 3/4 sterilized potting soil and 1/4 soil less starting mix. Moisten and use this combination to start seeds? My idea is to provide nutrients from soil for them while they're still indoors.

Right now the only plants that I have under lights are Nasturtiums and Snapdragons. the Snaps appear as fine as cat's whiskers...but I think they are snaps :) Today I decided to experiment by putting Stocks seeds to start. I am starting some in straight soil-less and some in a mixture of potting soil loosened with soil-less mix.

I want to start several more annual varieties and will appreciate any advice.

Happy Easter.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!